By Douglas Gomery
Covering every thing from Edison to Avatar, Gomery and Pafort-Overduin have written the clearest, most sensible geared up, and so much undemanding movie heritage textbook out there. It masterfully distills the foremost tendencies and events of movie historical past, in order that the topic will be taught in a single semester. and every bankruptcy incorporates a compelling case research that highlights an immense second in motion picture historical past and, while, subtly introduces a methodological process. This e-book is a excitement to learn and to coach. Peter Decherney, college of Pennsylvania, united states
In addition to supplying a finished review of the improvement of movie worldwide, the booklet supplies us examples of the way to do movie background, together with organizing the main points and discussing their implications.Hugh McCarney, Western Connecticut kingdom college, USA
Douglas Gomery and Clara Pafort-Overduin have created a very good textbook with a magnificent breadth of content material, protecting over a hundred years within the evolution of cinema. motion picture historical past: A Survey is a fascinating ebook that would gift readers with a modern point of view of the heritage of movies and supply a high-quality origin for the examine of movie. Matthew Hanson, jap Michigan collage, USA
How will we comprehend the background of film?
Historical evidence don’t solution the fundamental questions of movie background. heritage, as this attention-grabbing e-book exhibits, is greater than the easy accumulation of movie titles, proof and figures. this can be a survey of over a hundred years of cinema heritage, from its beginnings in 1895, to its present nation in the twenty-first century.
An available, introductory textual content, Movie background: A Survey appears to be like at not just the most important motion pictures, filmmakers, and cinema associations through the years, but in addition extends to the construction, distribution, exhibition, know-how and reception of flicks. The textbook is split chronologically into 4 sections, utilizing the timeline of technological changes:
Section One seems on the period of silent video clips from 1895 to 1927; part starts off with the arriving of sound and covers 1928 until eventually 1950; part 3 runs from 1951 to 1975 and offers with the arrival and improvement of tv; and part 4 specializes in the arrival of domestic video and the transition to electronic, from 1975 to 2010.
Key pedagogical positive aspects include:
- timelines in every one part support scholars to situate the flicks inside of a broader old context
- case research packing containers with close-up research of particular movie histories and a specific emphasis on movie reception
- lavishly illustrated with over 450 colour photos to place faces to names, and to attach photographs to movie titles
- margin notes upload heritage details and clarity
- glossary for transparent knowing of the most important phrases described
- references and additional studying on the finish of every bankruptcy to reinforce extra study.
A supporting site is available at www.routledge.com/textbooks/moviehistory, with lots of additional fabrics, precious for the study room or autonomous learn, including:
- additional case experiences – new, in-depth and special to the website
- international case experiences – for the Netherlands in Dutch and English
- timeline - a film heritage timeline charting key dates within the historical past of cinema from 1890 to the current day
- revision flash playing cards – excellent for purchasing to grips with key words in movie studies
- related assets – at the web site you can find each hyperlink from the booklet for ease of use, plus entry to extra on-line material
- students also are invited to publish their very own motion picture background case reviews - see web site for details
Written through hugely revered movie students and skilled lecturers, Movie History is the appropriate textbook for college students learning movie history.