By Anne O'Brien
After the loss of life of her stepfather, girl Rosamund de Longsprey proposal to prevent an prepared marriage with a repugnant guy through taking to her newly inherited lands. regardless of the deplorable stipulations and missed lands, Rose is set to make it paintings as the replacement isn't whatever she is keen to do. regrettably for Rose, Lord Gervase Fitz Osbern is simply as decided to take again his lands that have been stolen from his relations. Fitz Osbern indicates up and fast takes keep watch over of the citadel a lot to the chagrin and annoyance of Rose. either are confident of sole possession, and either are obstinately attempting to oust the opposite. Neither one is keen to provide any flooring, nor will both one put up. Will a person live on? And who will lay declare to the lands?
I totally enjoyed this tale. I occurred upon this prize relatively accidentally as i used to be looking the cabinets of a neighborhood paperback alternate bookstall. The blurb at the again stuck my cognizance, however it was once some time prior to I opened it. i used to be speedy stuck up within the tale and the characters; I quickly chanced on myself racing to learn to determine the way it could all finish. either Rose and Gervase are robust and dominate characters. fortunately, they stayed actual to these features during the tale and nonetheless had a really pleasing end.
The first scene we learn is of Gervase taking up the property. It comes throughout quite brutally, and that i stumbled on myself asking the query "how am I to love this man?" Then, the tale flashes again 2 weeks and we see issues from the start and WOW. i used to be hooked.
What I enjoyed:
1. girl Rose--she is fantastic! She is opinionated, decided, crafty, proud, and clever. She can also be compassionate and courageous. I enjoyed that she grew because the tale stepped forward. definite, she was once blameless of many ways of the area, yet she wasn't overly naïve and silly approximately it. She used to be headstrong, occasionally to her detriment, yet constantly for a cause.
2. Lord Gervase--what a hottie! He was once robbed of his lands and stole them correct again. although he's an honorable knight, he performs the position of a rowdy brigand in hopes it's going to ship Rose operating. His makes an attempt are relatively humorous in view that he betrays himself with acts of generosity and civility every now and then. And as soon as he cleans himself up...all his traditional allure fairly shines through.
3. Contess Petronilla and Lord Hugh de Mortimer--Rose's mom and Gervase's good friend extra a pleasant contact of sanity to stability out the bullheadedness of either Rose and Gervase. additionally, I enjoyed Rose's mother for simply being there and being a mother. She wasn't controlling, yet supportive.
4. The Undermining of Authority--I enjoyed the subtleties (and no longer so refined methods) utilized by either Rose and Gervase to achieve the higher hand. I additionally preferred that it wasn't continuously person who got here out on most sensible. actually, it usually appeared judicious. It's infuriating to learn tales the place the girl is so naïve that she is has to be rescued through an all figuring out guy. the following, we had a well-balanced conflict the place not anyone ever looked as if it would really be in charge of the situation.
5. The Romance--with such headstrong humans, there's absolute to be sparks after they meet. They either slowly and punctiliously fall in love with the opposite. And it was once effortless to work out why they enjoyed each one other.
6. The Ending--with either decided to be the conqueror, it was once nail-biting to attend and spot how obdurate humans could come jointly with no filing. It used to be good performed. I enjoyed how Rose positioned to exploit the unorthodox recommendation of the Queen.
What I didn't like:
The simply factor that I didn't like was once different flashbacks: it used to be a piece complicated now and then. Am I examining anything occurring without delay? Or did this occur previously?
All in all, i actually loved this tale. It was once a hugely interesting tale with plausible characters and an emotional romance. this is often one I'm going to carry directly to and never ship again to the paperback trade shop.